If you’re still wondering what to do with your kids this school holiday, we’ve an amazing idea for you. It’s time to dust off those aprons to enjoy a fun-filled day with your kids in the kitchen – cooking up a storm while spending some quality family time together!
Vanilla Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles
This simple and delicious treat is the perfect recipe to kick things off with. Light and crumbly vanilla sugar cookies generously topped with colourful sprinkles. They are easy to bake and lots of fun to make. Your kids will be thrilled to be assigned to sprinkle duty!
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks or 226 grams of unsalted butter, room temperature (let the butter from refrigerator sit on the counter for about an hour or so until it’s softened, not melted)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat softened butter and sugar until light in colour and fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla – continue beating for a couple minutes. 4. Add flour-salt mixture and continue beating until well-combined without over mixing.
5. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll these cookie balls in sprinkles!
6. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. (Top tip: use a cookie cutter for fun cookie shapes!)
7. Freeze until firm for about 30 minutes.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes and do not over-bake.
9. Remove from the oven, and transfer to wire rack to cool completely before serving!
Fluffy Banana Pancakes
Not only do they look and taste absolutely delicious, they are also really easy to make with your kids! Fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside, topped with bananas and drizzled with maple syrup – these scrumptious banana pancakes will satisfy both kids and adults alike!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 riped bananas, smashed
1. Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.
3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.
4. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot and enjoy!
Creamy Macaroni & Cheese Pizza
What better topping is there for pizza than warm, melted cheesy macaroni? By combining two classic kid’s favourites, this delightful recipe is bound to please even the pickiest of palettes. The added bonus is that this recipe is easy to follow and delightfully child friendly!
1 box of macaroni and cheese
3 slices of cheese
¼ cup milk
1 premade pizza crust
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup shredded cheese
1. Start by making the macaroni and cheese according to the package.
2. Add 3 slices of cheese and ¼ cup of milk to the mix to make a little more cheese sauce. Stir over low heat until melted.
3. Brush pizza crust with olive oil.
4. Top pizza with macaroni and cheese.
5. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
6. Bake at 450 degrees for 7 – 10 minutes.
7. Serve hot and enjoy!